United States Steel Student Employee in Gary, Indiana
9144BRMid-Level:Gary Works Work Location:GARY WORKSJob Description:United States Steel Corporation has an immediate opening for an Intern in Crane Repair Maintenance. The intern position affords the opportunity to apply educational experiences to real world Operating units for the identification of opportunities to increase the reliability and maintenance of equipment assets held to world-class standards. Strong mentoring by seasoned engineers ensures a mutually beneficial work experience.
Responsibilities (may include, but not limited to the following):
-Learn, understand and adhere to U. S. Steel’s safety program to ensure a safe work environment within the operating facility.
-Learn and apply U. S. Steel’s engineering principles and problem solving techniques to evaluate and resolve maintenance conditions to maximize operating efficiencies.
-Receive training to supervise, direct and coordinate the efforts of maintenance technicians, craftsmen and project planners to repair and maintain mechanical/electrical equipment to keep the operations running at maximum efficiency with minimum interruption.
-Use technical knowledge and maintenance history of mechanical/electrical equipment to develop and implement methods and procedures designed to eliminate maintenance problems and improve product quality.
-Use technical knowledge, equipment documentation, safety procedures, and maintenance schedules to follow, improve, and develop preventative and routine maintenance programs.
-Learn and perform administrative activities such as scheduling of crews, maintenance reports, conducting safety contacts, and other reporting as necessary by the operating facility.
-Interpret specifications, blueprints, and job orders to workers and assign duties accordingly.
-Devise and implement cost saving strategies.
-Learn and understand the steelmaking process.
-Candidates must be a full-time student pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Technology .
-Candidate must have completed or be working towards completion of their sophomore year and be in good academic standing.Auto req ID:9144BRCompany:United States Steel CorporationCountry:United StatesRequisition Type:US-Non-ExemptPosting Title:Intern--Gary Works--Crane Repair--MaintenanceState/Province:US - INWork Location - City:Gary Company Overview:Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.Preferred Skills:We are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment. The successful undergraduate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement. In addition, a successful intern will have:
• Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for your area of study
•Strong computer skills, in excel, pivot tables, Power point, etc
• A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
• A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
• An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
• A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
• Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
• The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Leadership and strong decision-making skills
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tacticallyCompetency Summary:As an individual contributor, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to champion change and effective communication while contributing to team success.Equal Employment Opportunity:U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results & accountability, and focus on cost, quality, and customer. We promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.